Popular Posts

Monday, June 4, 2012

Washington's Strongest Apple IV Contest Writeup


This is one of my favorite comps and I was planning on doing it to test my cut back to 175 against some of the best competition out there but the original date of June 16th happened to be the date of OB's wedding. When it got changed to the 2nd 5 weeks out I started training for it and really dialed in my diet.

You can read more about what I did to diet back down to 175 here http://kallebeckstrength.blogspot.com/2012/05/dieting-down-to-175.html

The Weight Cut

started water loading Monday and cut out all carbs and tried to limit sodium as much as I could. Got a 6:30AM flight and had a protein shake with a ton of peanut butter and 60 grams of whey on the way to the airport and that was my last meal other than a few cups of straight black coffee. Checked my weight on the oldest scale I've ever seen in my life at the hotel and it said I was 190!! Instead of freaking out (can't say I didn't a little) I took a 15$ cab ride (each way) to another hotel to check my weight on a real scale. I was 180.4.... You know you haven't ate a thing when cherry flavored magnesium citrate tastes amazing. 

Weigh ins were at 3PM about 40 minutes from the contest venue and I didn't get to check my weight again till about 12:30. Since my sister who was driving from 3 hours away got a flat on the way and was bringing me a scale. Judging from how the night/morning went I figured I was easily on weight but it said I was 177.8. I did a little homemade hotel bathroom sauna and lost about a lb. took a break went on the elliptical for 15 minutes and hit the bathroom sauna for another 20 minutes and left for weigh ins at 175.8. Drove to weigh ins wearing two jackets with the heater slightly on sweated the whole way there and weighed in at 175.2. 

Putting the weight back on

Downed some pediylate and water till i stopped shaking. My core temperature was really high and i was still sweating. I walked around the parking lot in the cold for awhile till my heart rate went down and ate at Trappers Sushi, I dumped a ton of soy sauce into my miso soup and my rice and ate a few rolls. looking back I should have stayed safe and got something more simple like beef teriyaki and rice. I just love sushi though!

ate some sugary candy and cookies while sipping water and than mixed 1 scoop of GH nutrition second wind and 2 scoops of ESP Nutrition Power Thru in 26oz of water. I would drink that, than 26oz of straight water than the blend, a few times. I started to feel human again after this! 2 hours after weigh ins I weighed 184.4

ate dinner and got an extra thing of chicken and rice to eat in  the morning. woke up every 90 minutes or so to get more fluid in me and left to the comp at 8AM weighing 188.6

Pre Comp

It was a wet cold morning which gave me flashbacks to California's Strongest Man, I know I could handle that but I kind of like some sunshine! Played around with the equipment. damn that yoke is WIDE and the dumbbell was massive!! Got my shirt, shot the shit with everyone, handed out samples of ESP Nutrition Power Thru and MaxForce N.O





Yoke walk 670lbs 80' up an incline

My 2nd worst event but I was feeling pretty good! I took off and felt good until midway when my yoke banged into the ground with every step. Rookie mistake! I needed the yoke a notch lower. This is so stupid I have a strong squat so the pick is never a problem.... Probably cost me first place.

Result 47.7 (PR still) Seconds. Patrick won with 35. 2nd place




425 Deadlift for reps no straps 

up and down commands! I was very furious at myself for the big blunder in the yoke but i have learned to take strongman event by event. Time to deadlift!!

I started to feel a little light headed around rep 7, was shaking a lot. I didn't re hydrate good enough between events. ended up with 10, couldn't finish the hitch on the 11th. Tie for 2nd with Benji. Patrick got 12 for the win. 




135 Circus Dumbbell

I knew this was my time to make up points. I've been hammering this event in training and hitting 8 reps with my homemade bell at will. From experience that can mean jack shit when it comes to comp though since implements differ so much. This thing was huge and brand new with SLICK paint. The handle felt bigger than 3" and was slipping out of my hand a bit on the clean. I hit it with 115 than did 2 singles with 135 in warm ups so I knew I would be OK.

Hit the first one easy, rushed and missed the 2nd at lockout. Benji had fought for 1 rep at the end and I hadn't seen Patrick hit one next to me yet so I slowed things down. Hit another rep and stood there, felt like doing another asked the crowd and of course missed it. WHOOPS!

1st place. made up 4pts. HUGE





240 farmers walk 160' turn at 80'

Now for my worst event! silly grip, of course these are hard implements as well. I did the math and figured I would either be .5 behind or ahead if i got 3rd going into the last event. Patrick blistered the course in 32 seconds and vice grip Benji bested it with 30 seconds. I went for broke and sprinted with the farmers but my grip wouldn't contain. Once I knew I had 3rd secured I saved myself since it was all going to come down to the kegs!!



Keg Carry & Load

4 kegs weighing 180,200,220,250 carried from distances of 10,15,20,25ft respectively and loaded onto a 50" platform The standings going into the kegs was Me & Benji with 11.5pts and Patrick had 11. Lets go!!

Patrick loaded all 4 in a good time and I was going head to head with Benji so I knew I was going to have to move! My training has been phenomenal for this event so I was very confident. 
Me and Benji were neck and neck through the first 2 but I pulled away on the 3rd and even more on the 4th. I took a second to stand it upright and finished in 38.44 which was actually the third fasted time between all the lightweight classes (175,200 and 231) I was fired up! This was the hardest I've ever fought for a contest and when you come out on top it is a great feeling. 






Conclusion

This contest gave me everything I wanted out of it. I've never been pushed harder or in a more competitive comp. I learned a ton about the weight cut and feel this was the perfect tune up for the Dallas Plat+. Can't wait for August! 






No comments:

Post a Comment